Connect with us

Africa

5 Murdered in South Africa as MTN, MultiChoice and Shoprite shut Branches in Nigeria amid Protests

News Team

Published

on

Five people, all foreign nationals, have been killed in the ongoing Xenophobic violence and protests in South Africa.

The violence which erupted late last week has seen businesses owned by citizens from other African countries looted, property damaged and truck drivers from neighboring countries being targeted and torched in the violent attacks.

South Africa – Pretoria – 29 August 2019 – Calm restored in the Pretoria CBD following burning of foreign owned shops. Photo: Africa News Agency / ANA

In a retaliatory move, Nigerian protesters took to the streets of Lagos on Tuesday evening to vent their anger by throwing stones and destroyed properties owned by SA brands such as MTN, Shoprite and MultiChoice.

Dozens of shoppers descended on Novare Shoprite Mall in Lekki, near Lagos, Nigeria and looted goods of unknown value while torching a police truck. Several other SA owned stores including PEP, MTN were looted and property destroyed in Surulere and Jakande.

Following the protests, South African television group MultiChoice has shut its offices and branches in Nigeria and Zambia, “We have had to shut branches and offices to safeguard customers and staff until further notices,” said its head of corporate affairs Jabavu Heshu on a statement on Wednesday morning.

On its case, MTN Group said it had closed its stores and service centers in Nigeria “as a precaution” after four stores in Nigeria were attacked on Tuesday evening. Sources indicate that the company also closed several stores in Johannesburg. The company, in a statement condemned the acts of violence.

Shoprite Holdings said in a statement on Wednesday that several stores in South Africa, Nigeria and Zambia were closed and extensive damage had been done to several supermarkets over the past 24 hours.

“(Shoprite) is highly concerned about the acts of xenophobic violence against foreign nationals that sporadically flare up and the resultant rhetoric of intolerance that is levelled against foreigners and the platform this creates for criminals to exploit this,” the company said in a statement.

Comment using Facebook

Kenya's most incisive and informative platform to learn about business news, technology, markets, companies, startups, leadership advise, curated business and industry opinion, and affluent lifestyles.

Africa

16 Kenyans named On Forbes Africa Top 30 Under 30 List

For the first time, the annual watch-list has 120 young African change makers, instead of the usual 90 from the previous year.

Inversk Review

Published

on

David Kyalo | The Cofounder of Koncepts and Events has been named one of Forbes Africa Top 30 Under 30 Listmakers 2019

16 young Kenyans under the age of 30 and making big waves in their respective industries have been listed on Forbes Africa’s 30 Under 30 list for 2019.

The annual list which is in its 5th year looks for resilient self-starters, innovators, entrepreneurs and disruptors who have the acumen to stay the course in their chosen field, come what may.

This year, the 30 Under 30 list was announced at the annual Forbes Africa Under 30 Meet-Up at the Houghton Hotel in Johannesburg on Thursday night.

These brilliant minds are listed under four categories - business, technology, creatives and sport. As such, there are four different covers for each category.

For the first time, the annual watch-list has 120 young African change makers, instead of the usual 90 from the previous year.

Commenting on the change, Renuka Methil, the Managing Editor of Forbes Africa said, “It was the moment we had all been waiting for, unveiling the 120 innovators who are changing the old rules of the game and forging forward. The Forbes Africa 30 Under 30 list has over the last five years come to be a highly-respected and sought-after collection of tomorrow’s leaders today”.

Below is the list of 16 Kenyans who made it in the different categories;

BUSINESS

  • Sadaam Suleiman, 28, Co-Founder & Managing Director of DragonflyLimited
  • David Kyalo, 29, Founder & CEO Koncepts & Events Ltd
  • Shirlene Nafula, 27, Founder & CEO of Crystal River Products
  • Kimani Adam, 29, Co-Founder & CEO of Nature Expeditions Destination Management

SPORTS

  • Margaret Nyaireira Wambui, 23, Track & Field Athlete
  • Sabrina Simader, 21, Alpine Skier
  • Emmanuel Korir, 24, Track & Field Athlete
  • Beatrice Chepkoech, 24, Track & Field Athlete
  • Faith Kipyegon, 25, Track & Field Athlete

CREATIVES

  • Kevin Njue, 27, Producer, Director, Writer & CEO of Rocque Pictures
  • Karun, 24, Musician
  • Yaa Bonsu, 28, Fashion Stylist & Creative

TECHNOLOGY

  • Diana Esther Wangari,, 27, Co-Founder & Chief Medical Officer of Sagitarix
  • Eric Muli, 27, Founder & CEO of Odyssey Capital
  • Jacob Rugano, 29, Co-Founder & Director of AfricarTrack International
  • Dorcas Owinoh, 28, Co-Founder & Director of LakeHub

Continue Reading

Africa

AfDB Bank Approves US$ 24.7m For Water, Sanitation Development In South Sudan

News Team

Published

on

African Development Bank Board of Directors, on June 20 2019 approved a proposal to commit $24.7 million to finance the South Sudan Strategic Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project.

The Strategic Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project will support the rehabilitation of approximately 50km of the Juba town distribution network and related works, including metering and public water collections outlets.

The project will also cover feasibility and engineering design for two other towns under the jurisdiction of South Sudan Urban Water Corporation. The project will additionally cover the development of solar powered water distributions systems and sanitation and hygiene promotion in high-density rural communities surrounding Juba, as well as capacity development in the relevant water institutions.

South Sudan’s capital city of Juba, like many urban centers in the country, suffers from the effects of years of armed conflict and under-investment in the development and maintenance of basic water infrastructure.

Increased numbers of displaced people and rapid urbanization have placed considerable strain on existing urban water supply infrastructure and the illegal supply of untreated water drawn from river Nile by private water tanker operators is common in the city and its suburbs.

On completion, the project will directly benefit 300,000 people in Juba and the surrounding rural Jubek state. The nearly $2 million grant will ensure that schools and communities in eight targeted rural areas of Jubek state, will benefit from 40 public/institutional latrines blocks to be constructed, as well as hygiene education.
“The incorporation of a rural water and sanitation component in areas that are relatively safe to reach indicates that the project opens a pathway for more support for rural WaSH going forward,” said Osward Chanda, Manager for the Water Security and Sanitation Division at the Department of Water Development and Sanitation.

“By helping to improve the quality and delivery of urban water supply services in Juba city and strengthening rural water supply and sanitation services, the project will greatly assist its target population,” said Bank Country Manager for South Sudan, Benedict Kanu. He added that it will help in combatting diseases, reducing health costs, improving quality of life, as well as helping women save time and increased convenience due to closer water supply outlets.

Since 2012, the Bank has contributed more than $136.79 million in development aid across various sectors in South Sudan. Bank support has focused on capacity building, infrastructure development, and creating conditions for promoting peace, stability and state building, among the Bank’s strategic priorities.

The project aligns with South Sudan’s National Development Strategy (2018-21) and the orientation of the Bank’s 2012-18 Country Strategy Paper, which was extended in May 2019 to 2021. Both strategies emphasize nation building through capacity building and infrastructure development.

Comment using Facebook

Continue Reading

Africa

Jack Ma’s Netpreneur Prize Entries to Close on June 30th

Inversk Review

Published

on

The call for entries for Africa Netpreneur Prize Initiative (ANPI) deadline is nearing, already set on June 30 2019. This means interested entrepreneurs have only 4 days to submit their applications for the chance to pitch Jack Ma and win a share of the $1-million.

Launched in 2018, the Jack Ma led initiative has a budget of $10 million over a 10-year period. This means each year, 10 entrepreneurs will share $1m each year.

Through the contest, Ma aims to support African tech entrepreneurs in their efforts to build a more sustainable and inclusive Africa for the future. Jack Ma decided to create the prize after his first trip to Africa in July 2017 when he was inspired by the energy and entrepreneurial potential of the young people he met.

The competition is open to entrepreneurs from across all countries of Africa to apply; and from all industries, including traditional and tech. It puts a special focus on small enterprises, female entrepreneurs, and those doing work to improve local communities.

The businesses pitched also has to founded and registered in the African country in which they operate. Also, they must have been operational for at least three years and show earnings for these years. Their products or services must also be adapted to the continent’s needs.

To enter the competition, each business must create three short videos – one from the founder, one from an employee, and one from a customer. Applicants must be African nationals leading mission-driven organisations and must have been operating for at least three years. The finalists will be selected by a team of judges from the five regions representing the entire continent.

Interested applicants can head to the ANPI website and click Apply Now. You will need to fill in a form to create an account which you will use to complete the submission process.

Semi-finalists will then be selected by a group of judges and notified in August with the top ten finalists travelling to the Grand Finale in November.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 INVERSK MAGAZINE. Developed by ITIPS